Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Where Did The Choir Go?


Childhood habits don't easily die.... like going to church on vacation. As a member of Fort Thomas Baptist Church, one of our traveling duties was to faithfully worship with the community of faith. In order to encourage us, our Sunday School superintendent expected bulletins from far-flung Baptist churches marking the dates of attendance corresponding to our absences from the home church.
Even before eating my "hot breakfast" at the Fairfield Inn in Liberty, MO, I scanned the yellow pages.
"Second Baptist Church?" The breakfast room attendant smiled and grimaced simultaneously. "That one is kinda for old people. My church is just wonderful and you would love it. It is Pleasant Valley Baptist Church. Just follow the road in front and you will get there. The pastor is really cool. He never wears a tie."
What in that sentence should have left me running for Second Baptist? Not sure, but I made my way to her church's enormous campus, visible for miles.
I chose the 11:00 service ----- old time thinking. Why hadn't I shifted my paradigm knowing my own church in Dallas moved the old people to the early slot (older people don't sleep as late) and saved the prime times for drums and clapping.
I opened the handout. It couldn't be a bulletin for nothing mentioned the morning service except the little box reading: Saturday - Band-led; Sunday 9:15 - Choir and orchestra-led:11:00 Guitar-driven; cutting edge.
Notice anything? The first two are "led." The one I chose is "driven."
I actually enjoyed sharing time with this arm of the Body of Christ
One great advantage: I prayed for my family out loud and no one heard ---- they just saw me fervently engaged in praise.:)
Oh, yes, in my Bible is the date stamp in case someone questions my whereabouts while out and about.

No comments: