Monday, September 7, 2009

Secret Place


"Come see the secret place ---- it's my clubhouse!" Bree Anna excitedly welcomed her friends to the house, rushing them under the stairs and into her private world.
As I walked by, I could see rays of light from three flashlights peeking out of the darkened sanctuary. She decorated it with her drawings and furnished it with two large lounging pillows ---- a perfect hideaway from big brother.
All my life I wanted a secret room. Undoubtedly, I am way too big for Bree Anna's place under the stairway. But, I still dream of turning a bookcase and discovering a tucked away room known only to me.
For a year or so this one will intrigue her as she creates a world of her own, but soon she will outgrow the space and have to duck to enter. Yet, for right now --- it is a magical place where little girls can giggle, tell scary stories, and pretend to be all by themselves in the house.
Last week the verses about "you are my hiding place" came to mind as I thought about some difficult situations. He shelters us, protects us, wraps His arms around us much like Bree Anna's little room does for her. She feels safe in there; I feel safe in Jesus.
I love her happiness as she explores the possibilities of her room. Next time I am sure we will eliminate even more of the clutter to enlarge her domain. After all, this is no longer a storage closet--- it is the private world of Bree Anna Richardson. And how thankful I am for her and her room.
As she grows up, I want her to know she will always have a special place in the arms of Jesus. He will always be her hiding place.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

I started a blog! Hope you're doing well!