Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Rare Blessing

"Jill, I brought my camera and could I please have a picture with you?" Even though she was tired from travel, and weary after a long day, she graciously agreed.

This meant the world to me! Jill Briscoe is one of my heroes. Here she was at the CASA Leadership Conference ---- and there I was on the front row with notepaper in hand and a happy heart.
I actually met her for the first time in 1971. She and her husband were speaking in Kentucky. During the intervening years, my Dad and my brother have served with her on Christianity Today's board. Even though my contact has been marginal, her impact on me has been great.

Friends of mine seek autographs of sports legends, movie stars, and well-known politicians. I am thrilled to have a remembrance of a woman whose life reflects joyful discipline. As I said after the meeting, "She's who I want to be when I grow up."
Admiration doesn't slide into adoration ---- that place is held only for the God Jill loves so deeply. She reminds me what a loving heart looks like when it has flesh on. She makes me want to know God....a pretty good goal.

No comments: