Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Preach The Word




The Billy Graham Center Museum stands at the back of the Wheaton College campus, nestled up to the train track. An earlier visit in the mid-90s convinced me a return would be worthwhile. So, I left early for my dinner with friends and made a stop.
The Museum was essentially empty except for the warm, welcoming hostess. She graciously told me of the special exhibits and eagerly answered my questions.
The room that drew me back is the rotunda with giant, elegantly embroidered banners hanging ceiling to floor. On each one is a statement of faith from men (and a woman) upon whose lives our traditions are built. I stood quietly before each one thinking about their lives, their words, and their legacy. How thankful I am for their commitment to the Lord Jesus.
The majority of the Museum is dedicated to the history of the evangelical movement in America and the work of Billy Graham. It is impossible to move through without stopping for quiet moments of reflection.
By faith ---- by faith----by faith. This was a living Hebrews "Hall of Faith" experience.
At the end, a stone wall stood in a darkened space. Upon it are carved the powerful words of John 3:16. I paused to consider the words and the magnificent presentation. God became flesh and dwelt among us.....Jesus died, was buried, and rose again to provide a way of reconciliation with God the Father for us.
The trip to dinner at the lovely home of Harold and Jeanette was peaceful and pondering.
What a blessing to honor Billy Graham, but much more bring glory to God the Father.

No comments: