Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Table for 3


Nothing spectacular about this building, and especially not about this picture. But, then again, the memories it evokes are indescribable.
In 1994 I moved to Des Moines, Iowa, from Dallas, Texas, leaving my family and friends as I "ran away from home" to take a corporate promotion.,
By early 1995, my sister and Mom decided to fly to Kansas City, rent a car, count cows from KC to DSM, and visit me.
One of our great adventures was traveling to the Amana Colonies in Eastern Iowa. What fun we had that day! The three of us laughed, ate, shopped, laughed some more, and then headed back to the Hotel Fort Des Moines.
As I traveled from Des Moines to Chicago on my recent trip, I journeyed the 15 miles off the highway to once again enter the world of the Amanas. No, it isn't one large refrigerator manufacturing plant --- it is the center of an early pioneer settlement which still exists as a peek into early midwest history. It was a community of towns known as the Amana Colonies. They worked, lived, ate communally. They had eating houses located in each of the 7 little towns. Each one was a one day horse buggy ride from the other.
There are vestiges of the smaller ones, but the largest one thrives by welcoming tourists.
The eating house serves delectable food which way more than satisfied my driving hungries. As I slowly savored each bite, I thought about the time with Mary Helen and Mom.
I ambled down the thoroughfare walking in and out of small stores, appreciating the workmanship of potters, painters, and weavers. I made my way to the Bakery. Suddenly, the picture of Mom, Mary Helen and me popped into my wandering mind.
I pictured us sitting at that same little table 14 years ago, munching on German pastries, and thoroughly thankful for each other.
Memory is quite remarkable, isn't it? The strangest, smallest things trigger extravagant, elegant remembrances.
Mom is in heaven, Mary Helen is completing her dream house in Plano, Texas, and I am on the road with the Cruiser ----- there's still much for which to be thankful.

No comments: