Friday, February 19, 2010

Knock, Knock

Sorry --- no pic for this one. Carole's pic with Peter will have to do for awhile.
When I young, I loved "knock, knock" jokes. They were so obvious, but they tickled me every time. "Knock, Knock" ---- "Who's there?" "Sam and Janet" "Sam and Janet who?" "Sam an Janet Evening."
Frequently, my friend Daryl includes "Some Enchanted Evening" in his repertoire when he concertizes (isn't that a great word?) I smile to myself as I begin the introduction, secretly saying, "Knock, knock....."
"I hear you knocking, but you can't come in" was a line from a rock and roll song from my far away past.
"Knock and the door will open to you."
All different forms of knocking.
Sunday when I will speak, I will probably have knocking knees.
But, today, the Lord used a friend named Janet who gently said, "Knock, knock" and opened my heart's door. She simply asked questions and waited. She listened and told me who was there....it was Jesus.
I love Sam an Janet Evening, but I am deeply grateful for friends named Janet who listen and make faith real.
When you prepare a talk on hope, it is easy to suffer the pangs of hopelessness. Friends in Jesus point to the real answer.

No comments: