Thursday, February 18, 2010

He Touched Me

On Wednesdays I go to C. C. Young Retirement Center. Such a simple sentence, but oh --- what deep emotions support it.
Yesterday was one of life's highlights.
I asked Bob and Delores to pray for me as I prepared to deliver the Sunday message at my church on Baptist Women's Day. He took the opportunity to teach the women about anointing and laying on of hands. At the conclusion, he asked me to sit in a chair and invited the women (age 84-99) to come around me and put their hands on me.
I looked into the face of a woman who is nearly 100 and was overcome with her expression. I saw my Mom in her face ----
Several prayed, several told me they loved me, several wanted to hug.....WOW!
No matter what happens on Sunday morning, I know I have been blessed by these precious ones.
To end the time, Bob Fenn took anointing oil and made the sign of the cross on my forehead. Ironically, it was Ash Wednesday. For this Baptist "girl" (that's what you get to be when you are 65 in that group!) it was a strange sensation. But all day, the oil remained on my face and I knew what Bob's touch meant. He was being Jesus to me!
"Pray for one another" ---- another simple sentence, but one filled with meaning and emotion. I hope the Lord never lets me forget those hands in mine, on my shoulders, back, and head. I hope He never lets me forget His touch of grace, mercy, and love.

No comments: