Saturday, February 6, 2010

Aerobic Telephoning


Millie Cooper, of the Cooper Aerobic Center, spoke last week about fitness. Dad used to talk about grabbing his donuts, parking his car on Willow Lane outside the Cooper Center, and happily munching away while watching the people run the track. I don't know if he ever did that, but it is a funny image. She spoke passionately about the need for life change and good habits. OOOH ---I felt convicted.
So, where is the exercise in my world? The swimming pool is closed until Memorial Day (and my abdomen is way too poochy for public exposure) and the weather is a bit nippy for walking (when you live far from a Mall you have a better excuse for avoiding winter walking).
My friend, Gerry, has the answer: CALL BRENDA ON HER LAND LINE AND WATCH HER RUN! As you can see from the pic, I have a perfectly good telephone. It only has one fault ---it rings at will (its will) and spasmodically. "How can it take you 10 rings to answer the phone?" "It only rang twice and I raced across the house to answer it," was my irenic (one of Dad's favorite words) response. "Do you only have one phone?" "Yes." "Have you ever thought of putting them in other rooms?" "No." Then, it dawned on me. This wasn't just poor thinking ---- this was brilliant strategy. I don't have an ill-working, misplaced phone ---- I HAVE AN AEROBIC SYSTEM! For when I don't get to the land line, he will invariably call me on my cell which is always at the other end of the house, so I run madly to the kitchen just in time to pivot masterfully and head for the TV room, or office, or ....... wherever the cell happened to land. This irritating little piece of equipment is now an irreplaceable tool in the war on flabbiness. Get a new phone? Nah ---- the exercise is making me lean (and definitely mean).

No comments: