Thursday, July 23, 2009

Octogenarian Love




Each Wednesday morning, I play for a Bible study, held at CC Young Retirement Center where "the spirit is ageless," according to the campus bus.
Driving 100 miles is an investment in my mental and spiritual well-being. Without fail, I walk into the room, and am warmly greeted by Delores Fenn ---- "Hello, lovie!" Her husband, Bob, teaches the class and truly builds the love of Jesus into the 15-20 women who gather faithfully.
Last week, I teasingly said, "I want a picture of you two ---- sit close." Like two teenagers, they cuddled, laughed, and even kissed. Sorry, my photo finger isn't quick enough for the liplock, but you can see the sparkle in their eyes.
They teach me about sharing life together. They make me feel welcome and needed. They show me how Jesus loves men and women in "the fourth quarter."
We have a 99 year old, several in their mid-nineties, and a bunch of kiddos in their 80s. They know what it means to finish well ---- and finish strong. They know life's purpose didn't end when they lost their mobility.
"Give me men to match my mountains," the poet said. I think the Lord is giving mountains to match these CC Youngers.....they are going for it full blast.

2 comments:

Carole said...

what a wonderful blog about 2 neat and in love people. I should know i am their oldest daughter. Thank you, Brenda for your friendship with them and helping in their current ministry. You are so so precious to them.

Unknown said...

I can vouch for them too, as their niece. I love them dearly. Thanks to my cousin Carole for sending me the link to your blog spot and the wonderful photos (I have seen them kiss!).