Monday, July 27, 2009

Flashes of Light


"This little light of mine ---- I'm gonna let it shine...." I sang that as a young girl, holding up one finger to represent my light.

Last night, the thunder and mad streaks of light flashed around my house. The power went off, and it was dark, dark, dark.

I stumbled into the kitchen to rescue the flashlight. Lo, and behold! The batteries were out. The lights came back on momentarily and I furiously went from room to room seeking out the many flashlights I had stashed for just this occasion. Alas and alack ----- nothing worked.

I assembled a lovely assortment of tea candles and curled up on the couch, waiting for the television to return.

Today I headed for Wal-Mart and gathered an assortment of "lighting instruments." They are all freshly batteried and well within hand.

The rain has begun again, but no thunderstorms ---- those are predicted for 3AM ---- oh, joy!

What did I learn? The best looking flashlight in the world is worthless if the batteries are dead. Even the most accessible flashlight is useless without power.

Ah, ha! God is the power, isn't He? I can wave my little finger, singing loudly about "Won't let Satan blow it out - no!" But, ultimately, He is the source of my strength. He is my Light and my salvation.

And, He is an ever present help in trouble. I was out of EverReady batteries, but never out of ever present holy help. YAY, GOD! Shine, Jesus, shine.

1 comment:

Carole McConnell said...

Yes. And along that line, I've learned that it doesn't matter how strong my reading glasses are, if the light is too weak. :-)