Friday, July 31, 2009

My tall green friends


"Good morning, trees!" "Thank you, God, for this house." That is my daily meditation. When I sit down at the computer, this is the view from the window.
What friends they are to me, but I also know they are to be held loosely in my hands. Pine trees in shallow sandy soil have a maximum lifespan of 50 years. I want them to be here as long as I am, but that won't happen. The trees will die, cost me much money to cut down, and then the landscape will change.
But, right now they are mine to enjoy.
If I were to wake up every morning and bemoan the fact they will die at some time, I would become neurotic.
But aren't some people like that? They look for all the bad while ignoring the tall green friends the Lord has given them right now. They walk around expecting their trees to die, and miss out on the joy of the moment.
My Dad instilled the value of gratitude and the importance of holding any possessions lightly...a good combination.
Thank you, Lord, for my tall, skinny friends. Let me see them as a gift from you for today. Let them point me to you and engender great praise and worship as I consider their beauty.
Thank you, Lord, for your kind provisions, and your magnificent protection.

No comments: