Monday, August 10, 2009

What Did You Say?


"Your daughter is going to be a HOSOB --- aren't you proud?" My sweet Southern Mom smiled as my mentor and friend, Layden Stroud, congratulated me on my move to Des Moines, IA. in 1994. "Oh, yes, we have always been proud of Brenda."
Later that evening I ate dinner with Mom and Dad at Prestonwood Country Club. One of my professional friends stopped by the table to say goodbye. Mom smiled broadly and said, "Brenda is going to be a HOSOB!" The stunned look on his face was laughable. He was having a hard time hearing this picture perfect lady make
such a remark. HOSOB stands for Home Office SOB, you see!
Breakfast with Layden last week reminded me of all he has done for me. His patience, his encouragement, his knowledgeable counsel, and his instruction have all built into my life. But, laughing about Mom and her HOSOB daughter is always the best!

No comments: