Monday, August 24, 2009

Come On In


The Jackson, MS Junior League produces a cookbook titled, "Come On In." The southern recipes welcome the reader into the world of gentility and charm.
As Mary Helen stood at her island on my weekly visit, I was struck with the sense of hospitality and warmth the house exudes. There she stood, ready to cook for us all!
I don't know if hospitality is officially one of the New Testament's spiritual gifts, but it is certainly the hallmark of Christian love. I am pretty sure I have never, ever entertained angels, but I can tell you with great certainty I have enjoyed the company of many whose hearts were sold out for Jesus.
Mary Helen can envision where all the Thanksgiving dishes will sit. She can see the family gathered together. She knows the day will soon come when we will noisily greet one another and celebrate the new house.
The day is coming when all believers will gather around a table unrivaled by any on earth. We will "sing and shout the victory." I look forward to that. How about you?

No comments: