Monday, August 17, 2009

Deerly Beloved


"This package is deer resistant. You will really enjoy the carefree nature of this 'conservation model.'" Thus, I signed on the dotted line, paid many dollars, and entered into the world of wildflower-ness.
Oh, that the story ended there.
If you look closely enough, you will see a lone sprinkler in the center of this picture. For three hours 2x a week, I move sprinklers from place to place, watering these carefree wildflowers.
Then, just as they are getting a hold, the deer send out an email throughout the woods, "Salad bar at 1510 W. Holly Trail!" Deer resistant, are you kidding me? Judging by the response, they have the allure of a five star restaurant. Literally dozens of deer line up morning and night to munch down on my "conservation model."
Holly Lake Ranch protects its wildlife and clearly frowns on any efforts to discourage the deer. But, I feel like my yard is becoming Brenda-resistant to them. THEY ARE IN CHARGE.
If you love Bambi, come visit me. But don't expect any oohs and aahs from me at this point. GIVE ME BACK MY WILDFLOWERS is more my response these days.
Deerly beloved, go chomp somewhere else. I wish you well ---- and I wish you great traveling mercies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love wildflowers but to see the deer munching down would be such a delight, but again, I understand wanting those wildflowers. I had a garden of wildflowers in New York and it was beautiful! Miss seeing you Brenda
Judy

Brenda A. Smith said...

I love the deer --- even as I disparagingly comment on their behavior. The woods are as much theirs, as ours.....just wish I didn't have to PAY for wildflowers.