Saturday, November 27, 2010

Old Man River

Sunrise through the fog on the Mississippi River is a grand experience. The Great River Road goes from Minnesota to Louisiana....American highway afficionados know this as the GRR ---a road with a roar.This is mile 497 according to the marker.
During this week I traveled beside the old man, crossed it back and forth, and remained reverent. This is a river of substance!
As I drove through river towns, I envisioned Mark Twain and his journeys. Growing up in Cincinnati on another fine river, I was used to seeing the Delta Queen docked on the Ohio. This lovely paddle boat ignited my desire to amble from headwaters to the mouth and the Mississippi delta. A friend from St. Paul, MN. tells me at the very genesis of the Mississippi you can cross it by foot. To imagine this magnificent riverway could ever be a quiet, almost trickle of a stream is unthinkable.
The signs on the road constantly reminded me I was on the GRR. I gave some thought to that word "great" as I passed along this delightful, intriguing byway. My mind wandered to the songs referring to our God as great.....and to His attributes. I hummed Great Are You, Lord and Great Is Thy Faithfulness. No matter how great that old man river is or the road clinging to its shoreline, it will never live up to the greatness of our God. I love that!

No comments: